Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic transmission fluid is a type of oil with many special additives added to help lubricate and cool the transmission. Below are the following things these special additives help do:
- Lubricate the transmission
- Reduce wear
- Clean certain metal components
- Prevent rust and corrosion
- Reduce oxidation
- Prevent seals from leaking
- Flow well at low temperatures
- Maintain thickness at high temperatures
- Pour easily
- Maintain viscosity
As the transmission fluid flows throughout the transmission, it absorbs heat and lubricates it. Over time, it will lose these qualities and have to be changed for fresh transmission fluid.
Signs you need a transmission fluid change
- Transmission fluid level is low
- Transmission fluid looks dark or gets contaminated
- Transmission stops working properly
- Transmission fluid leak
Automatic transmission fluid maintenance
To maintain the effectiveness of your automatic transmission fluid, be sure to get your fluid flushed or changed at your manufacturer’s recommended intervals for your specific vehicle. A transmission fluid change is also a great opportunity to get your transmission checked for any underlying issues.
The best way to get your transmission fluid changed is to book your appointment through CarAdvise. CarAdvise makes car care simple and guarantees that you’ll pay less than retail price on all car maintenance services.